Tuesday 13 December 2016

OCEAN



A very quick and short post today ….. I have finished my latest blanket, a gift for my younger son. It's called OCEAN because that is where he loves to be. I wove in the ends and added a couple of rows for a narrow border this afternoon, and am SO happy with it! I think I have managed to complete this in under three weeks. I know some people crochet much faster than that but usually a blanket this size would take me a few months!


Not my usual choice of colours, being neither very bright nor pale and interesting, but I think it's just right for a chap who likes the beach and the sea - what do you think?


I now have some new wool which is making me drool. I just have to decide what the next project is going to be. I don't really need another blanket  - even though Ocean will be posted far away - but I have some lovely patterns which have been calling to me! Though I'd like to do a shawl, if I could find a pattern not too difficult for someone who has most only crocheted throws and cushion covers. The wool is Double Knitting but is very fine, and is gently variegated. I'll show you when I decide what I'm going to make with it!


I expect you'll all be getting frantically busy in the run up to Christmas. I am happy to report we have actually got the decorations (very restrained) up and the tree lit up with fairy lights. All looking fairly festive here. Hope you are feeling the Christmas spirit, and not feeling too stressed out with organising things. I've read quite a few blog posts, and a number of articles recently urging people to not get drawn into the over the top hype, and then feeling inadequate compared to the 'people' in the adverts. Remember everyone will experience some stress, some joy, some disappointment and some happiness. I hope you have more of the good stuff than the not so good stuff!







15 comments:

  1. Love the blanket, noy my usual colour choices but together they are just perfect. I haven't touched my crochet hooks for ages but that pattern is very enticing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Pam, I completely agree, but the colours were decided upon for a specific reason.. given in a previous post. `I don't usually enjoy working with fabric or wool that I don't love from the word go, but actually I enjoyed these colours more as I went along. It's a very easy pattern just 2 rows of trebles followed by 2 rows of treble clusters. Hypnotic to work! L xx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful but it would take many months even when I had learnt to do the stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dc, as I mention above, only one stitch, a treble crochet, 2 row straight, 2 rows done as clusters, easy peasy! And to be honest, a blanket would normally take me much longer, but I have hooked furiously on this one to get it finished! Go on, give it a go! Just the thing for winter! Lx

      Delete
  3. Love 'ocean' - possibly colours you'd think might not go together yet put in the right sequence, they do. Bet he loves it. As for Christmas, as you know there's just we two nowadays, and being Buddhist it doesn't mean the same to me as to Christians for example. (And Himself isn't fussed!) but I do believe in Spreading kindness and goodwill and wishing for peace for everyone. And it would take nothing short of a miracle for that these days, sadly). And I love twinkly lights, so there's a few strings round bushes, the summerhouse too, and inside above fireplaces. A very small tree with mini baubles and tiny lights, a copper wreath with lights on the inner front door and that's it, can't stand the clutter, have never, ever got stressed out and at least there's no more duty visits to endure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. `Excellent attitude Edwina! I dislike clutter too, but am swamped by it and don't seem to be able to get o top of it - especially in my sewing room. Largely because I want to get rid of so many books and so much fabric but I'd really like to make a little money on it all - I've given SO much away, and what is left lis such good quality I'm reluctant to just donate yet more and more stuff which cost me …. a fair amount over the years! You don't realise what you are accumulating! But never mind, next year I intend to really tackle THAT ROOM! Lxx

      Delete
  4. oh lynne you have done well - i'm sure your son will really appreciate all your hard work there!! mind you I also think it may cost you a fortune to send to New Zealand - we are ambling up to Christmas - no rush here although we have some decs up because we are having a special visitor at the weekend - our granddaughter and her mummy and daddy!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne I suspect it will cost too much to send… hopefully he might be coming back for a visit next year so he can take it back with him!!! Oh and do enjoy your weekend visitors! How lovely! Lxxx

      Delete
  5. I love the blanket as I'm sure your son will. Homemade means so much more. We're all ready here. As you say, minimal ....not fretting over taking all down when the time comes. Have a wonderful holiday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Linda - we duck out of all the hype, and this year we are doing even less in the way of preparations, but we will have a lovely Christmas day with friends. ENjoy! Lxx

      Delete
  6. It is beautiful and he is going to treasure it. You put so much of your love into everything you do and it shows brightly . . . even all the way around the world :)
    You Rock!!!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you my friend! He has said he likes it and I know it will be well used - even in NEw Zealand the winter is cool where he is. Have a lovely Christmas, Connie, I know you will be making and giving and sharing with all your heart! L xxx

      Delete
  7. Hi my dear, just wanted to send my love to you this Christmas, hope it's full of lovely things :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah how lovely to hear from you! I do miss your blog posts - I hope things are OK and that you and your family enjoy a happy and peaceful Christmas . xxxxxxxxx

      Delete
  8. The blanket looks so beautiful. May be you need some textile instruments to help your jobs.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to comment, maybe join in the conversation - I always try and reply if I can.Anonymous spammers take note: you will not be published. Genuine posters having difficulty will be accepted. Thanks so much for visiting!