Thursday 25 September 2014

Two Little Jaunts


I've had a couple of little jaunts this week. Sunday morning saw me tootling off through the Norfolk lanes to the village of Castle Acre, where, with Stitch and Bitch chum Yvonne, I visited the Castle Acre Village Hall Craft Fair. Organised by mosaic artist Carolyn Ash, the fairs run four times a year, and Yvonne and I were keen to check them out, and to introduce ourselves to Carolyn with a view to discussing possibly taking part in one or two events next year. (You can see some of Carolyn's work above.)


And here is Carolyn herself. Right at the bottom of the hall, wearing a blue top, you can see my friend Bev (ex-nursing colleague, and musical mate) attending to her own stand of beautiful glass jewellery. In the confusion of meeting up with another textile chum - Magie Relph, of the African Fabric Shop - I forgot to take a photo of Bev's stand, but I shall do next time.

Providing the incidental music to the event, was another old musical pal, Pete Alison, joined by Moto for part of the day on piano accordion, whistle, and harmonica! Pete did ask whether I might have my fiddle in my car boot...alas no, but maybe next time I go I will do a little busking with him. Why not?



       Beverages, savouries and cakes were provided by the team from the Deerly Beloved Bakery.


And, amongst the other stands I discovered Debbie Osborn - new to me, but an old friend of Yvonne's!


Debbie works with screen and block printing onto textiles and paper, creating wonderful patterns to which I was instantly attracted as they are very reminiscent of the folk art designs I love and work with myself.


    And yes, I did buy FOR MYSELF the colouring book! And some lovely packs of printed cards.


Debbie and I had a lovely long chat about design and textiles, and I am going to have a couple of hours drawing tuition with her (when we can both find the time).

Another purchase I made came from a stand outside the hall, a lovely guy who wove birds out of willow. I bought one for our garden, hoping it might scare away the rooks. To no avail - but it does look lovely!



By the time we left, the sun was shining and it had turned into a really nice day; even better, when I got home, Jim had prepared a slow pot-roasted chicken and all the veg so it was a guilt-free trip out! Lucky me.

This morning I was out again, this time up to the north Norfolk coast, and a little village where Madeleine Spencer lives. I met Madeleine at the Craft Fair at Letheringsett last month, and fell in love with a silver and turquoise pendant she had made. Unfortunately it had sold, but Madeleine promised to make me a similar one, as she just has three tiny turquoise beads left from an old Victorian brooch she was in the process of cannibalising.


Here's Maddy at the threshold of her garden studio - the rain had JUST stopped for me to take a photo!


Inside was a lovely mix of working tools and eclectic "mess" which every good workshop/studio should present. We had a long chat about textiles, silver, design, craft fairs and pricing...and somehow wandered into the realms of health visiting, politics, Wales and the Welsh language..... I had a grand time!



    And here is my beautiful pendant, which I love so much. A birthday present to myself! Precious!!

And lest you think I have been doing nothing but gadding about round the countryside, let me tell you I have spent most of the rest of the time stitching away furiously, when I haven't been sorting felts and threads, and drawing designs. Here you see some of the fruits of my labours, a cushion cover, and the beginning of a folk art panel.






Well this has been a bit of a marathon of a post, I hope you are all still with me! I hope you all enjoy the fruits of YOUR labours this week.

22 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy your colouring book, I often play with patchwork designs and my crayons, deciding what fabric to use and where. The pendant is beautiful, I used to wear turquoise a lot, then I had granddaughters who "just have to wear that with my new dress/top/jeans". Now I have one necklace left, with a broken clasp, it is destined to be cannibalised one day. I do love your folk art stitching, once I have finished scratching my patchwork itch I have a few (dozen) sheets of felt to play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam. Actually, Debbie has printed on the colouring book "for children and adults"! I think silver and turquoise is a wonderful combination, I prefer it to gold any day! Looking forward to see what you do with all that felt, Pam! Lxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Lynne, Your new pendant is beautiful . . . and by the way, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!'
    The coloring book looked wonderful; I am sure that you are enjoying it. I love that you love going to all of these crafting shows and fairs. What I love even more is that you always take your camera and share your trip with us. You're such a busy girl . . . as you know I am always amazed at your stitchery. You Rock!
    Your blogging sister,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Connie, thank you ,as always, for your lovely comments. I think it is the least I can do, when I go to craft fairs or meet other artists and crafters, to give them a bit of a heads up. If I like what they do, I'm always sure people who read my blog will do as well. And hey, what goes around comes around! My birthday is on Sunday, and I am....yes, a whole year older! With affection, Lynnexx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Lynne, you really had a wonderful time out, with lots of goodies to take home !
    (ánd you worked very hard too ;-) !)

    Wonderful pendant Lynne !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy my little jaunts, Els, so nice to see other people's work isn't it? Lxx

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh almost forgot : HAPPY BIRTHDAY on Sunday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Els, yes, another year older! We are going out for lunch with our son and his lovely partner so it will be a great day! Lxx

      Delete
  6. Hope you have a happy birthday, your necklace is lovely and how nice to see the studio where it was made too. I'm busy trying to get my 'new' craft room set up so I'm putting off doing anything crafty just now but it's getting there slowly but surely. Your felt work looks lovely too, I love the colours you choose. :D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marksgran,thank you for the birthday wishes and kind comments. I LOVE working with this felt and wool, so easy to stitch and the colours are wonderful. I'm afraid I just keep on going in my sewing room, when I should really STOP and give it a good old clear out. Perhaps when we have had the next craft fair (Nov 1st) and I can stop stitching feverishly, I will give it a major 'uck out' !Lx

      Delete
  7. happy birthday to you on sunday and what a perfect present!!!! in my old age i've started treating myself to odd things (even when it's not my birthday!!!!) because i'm worth it - ha ha! i get so envious when i see other peoples work rooms - especially shed ones for some reason (i have french door envy) but i also wonder how they keep warm in the winter months so maybe i'll stick to the conservatory!! the craft fair looked good and how lovely that someone was playing music - let alone that you knew him!!! wonderful - have a great weekend and hope you have a birthday cake!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne, thank you, I think it should be a really good day on Sunday. Do you know I have EXACTLY the same feelings about those gorgeous shed workrooms! I really really want one, but think they might be hard to heat when it's really cold outside. Though I know some are double thingied - what is that word?? lined or something, and have heaters. But no, like you I expect I shall be remaining in my sewing room, which is kind of like a conservatory, or half a one. And the more I travel around Norfolk to craft fairs, music events, etc etc the more i realise how many people I know in this county! They pop up in the most unexpected places. It's a big county but sparsely populated so I suppose it isn't that strange. Have a lovely weekend yourself. Lxx

      Delete
  8. I have a friend who has been known to buy me a colouring book, because when I used to babysit for her when she was a child "apparently" I used to spend the whole evening colouring in! She even had one for me & all the other children placed on the table at her daughters christening recently.
    I love the necklace Lynne, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jay, yes, I feel no guilt, spending time with my watercolour markers and a colouring book! It gives me ideas for colour combinations for one thing, and it is quite a meditative occupation too! Good that your friend has you sussed! And I LOVE my pendant! Lx

      Delete
  9. We went to Castle Acre hall a few months ago for a farmer's market but there wasn't much going, lovely place though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dc, I realise dI had sung in this hall, quite a few years ago, lovely acoustics. And yes, it is a very nice hall.

      Delete
  10. Your pendent is stunning Lynne, really gorgeous, what a perfect present to give to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Jim bought me a lovely silver chain for my birthday which I have swapped with the existing chain. I wear it all the time now! Love it! Lx

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Hello Linda, thank you for popping across the pond to comment. And I love the video you have put up on your blog - beautiful tune and beautiful playing! lx

      Delete
  12. So many things on this post I love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chickpea, and lovely to meet you! Lx

      Delete

I'd love you to comment, maybe join in the conversation - I always try and reply if I can.Anonymous spammers take note: you will not be published. Genuine posters having difficulty will be accepted. Thanks so much for visiting!