Tuesday 16 October 2012

Textile Jaunts


No, I didn't polish off all of this! Just a 'remains of the day' shot of the detritus of last week's Stitch and Bitch. It was a post-birthday meeting, so there had to be cake...no, honestly, they twisted my arm...... and pressies, it was lovely.



And lots of work was done too, so that was pretty good.This is the beginnings of a wool cushion cover.


Love working with wool/felt/felted blanket, just so soft and NO TURN-UNDERS! Though I do love needle-turn applique, I have to say.

So that was a jaunt to mine, you might say. I took a jaunt out off to Heacham for coffee with S&B Lynne, and before I got to hers I popped into a lovely shop just up the road from her house, called Bradfields, an old fashioned hardware shop circa 1898 which has moved with the times and become a wonderful home furnishings and accessory shop. I was meeting with Pam, the owner to discuss some workshops which I'm putting on later this year. I'll take some photos, as the room we will be using is part of the old house which has been  renovated and decorated and is just gorgeous. I want to move in!
So I shall be doing a mixture of one-day workshops, and some on-going classes. More  anon, but it's quite exciting to be planning workshops again -  I haven't done any for ages, totally went off the idea some years ago.

Another textile jaunt for me happened this weekend, when I took myself over to Norwich, to the Dragon Hall, a wonderful mediaeval building run by a trust, where numerous workshops take place , including several textile related classes. I was doing a class run by lovely Teena Vallerine, whose blog kitschen pink I have read and enjoyed for ages. Teena creates lovely textile pictures using bonded applique and simple embroidery - the whole process is simple but the results are fabulous! And Teena is very laid back and accepting, it's a very unthreatening workshop, we had a great relaxing time and throughly enjoyed ourselves. The earlier classes had been quite large, but we were lucky there were only four of us so we had Teena's undivided attention.  Here are the results of our labours:



This is Pat's picture, she has used that lovely scroll stitch on this flower. We only really got onto the stitching way after lunch, as the preparation and positioning takes a lot of careful thought.



Joy, choosing just the right shade of thread to make her flower 'pop'!


And this is Margaret's. She was a newcomer to bonded applique and boldly set off in a landscape direction. Her choice of fabric for the sky is inspired, I think.


And this is mine, sorry, I am in a tearing hurry and i know I should tip these photos but I haven't the time. Tip your head, instead! I now think I need a flower slap bang in the centre to balance the whole thing, so will titivate things later on. So far my embroidery is very, very basic. But it will develop. I'm really enjoying doing this. Do you like my 'in yer face' colour choices?? A whiff of the Indian sub-continent, I think.



Here are some shots of Teena's work, but you can get a much better idea from her website/blog.



Lovely, isn't it? She really has the 'eye' for placement and design. And was also very generous with her fabric and scrap stash! We'd all taken stuff, in fact one or two of us had been panicking, and worrying about whether we'd packed the right things, having so much to choose from!  However I think we all dived into the scrap pile and and came up with our hearts desires. It was a lovely day, thanks Teena for a great class, and to Joy, Margaret and Pat, lovely meeting you, hope your finished pictures are all you'd hoped they would be.

On my way to Norwich, the sun was shining, and as I drove through the dappled light in the country lanes to reach the A47 (the story of my Norfolk life is writ large on that road!) I was thinking how fortunate I was, a day to myself in congenial complany, stitching, sunshine, and Jim doing the vacuuming at home, bless his cotton socks. Then just as I left to come home, the heavens opened. It was torrential! Only a short sprint to the car. But I don't sprint, so I did get a bit of a soaking. Never mind, soon warmed up with the heater on, it's just that I drove home with the odour akin to damp dog pervading the car. Ah well, you can't have everything!

25 comments:

  1. Well you can go off some people. You've got me itching to get back to bonded applique now, haven't done applique work in years. And want to do more felt work too, just need to get some decent felt. May I ask where you buy yours please? Love the colours. I shall have to stop reading your blog, I get too many ideas... and not one of them to do with cake today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie, yes, bonded applique is initially quite quick - I've used it almost exclusively with machine stitching up to nw, but am enjoying this. It may have to sit on the back burner a while as you know I have a few things on the go currently!!

      Felt. Well, you can buy felt squares at the Fent Shop, but they are a)very bold! and b)not the softest quality. 21st Cent yarns do some FABULOUS hand-dyed felted wool - by the yard and in squares, and hmm, heck, racking the old grey cells here...several places online will sell you either nice soft felt OR felted blanket. i went with afriend recently into a charity shop and got 2 large singles for £2 each! I now have to dye them but that's not a priority! I'm thrilled to bits to be nudging you into further wild adventures of creative expressivism!! Lx.

      Delete
    2. Saw the covers at P&D's window in Ders.... wot's 'appening!

      Delete
    3. No idea, MAggie...perhaps everything is moving up to Drove Orchards? Lx

      Delete
  2. Ooo I love the felt flowers! I am very into sweetie-shop colours at the moment and these have me ver inspired...

    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleanor, I seem to vacillate between pale and interesting and very bright!I could spend hours just playing about with different colour combinations.

      Delete
  3. Ooh such gorgeous florals, so so pretty Lynne! Is Meet me at cupcake cafe good? I've just read the Sweetshop one and loved it!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria, thanks for the comment. yes, the cupcake cafe is a really lovely read, just right to curl up with on a dull cold day. Well written too - haven't read the sweetshop one, but was disappointed with one set in Norfolk about a woman who was a 'textile designer' terrible writing and could just not find anything to empathise with any of the characters. Cupcakes...thumbs up! Lx

      Delete
  4. I am no needle woman but I just love reading and looking at all the lovely things you make and write about Lynne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous - thank you for your comment, do leave your name next time!!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Oh ADA! Why the glum face? Or did you do what I do and click the wrong key?

      Lx

      Delete
  6. I've an avertion to needles (in more ways than one) but am loving all your gorgeous pics and totally wowed by the creativity of you and your needlecraft pals, Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne.. I will message you about the cards, mustn't foget! Lx

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to hear what workshops your going to do, I might have to head your way for one.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun, Gill! There will be a mix of one-day workshops, doing things like felt decorations, tiny stitched pictures (not like Teena's I hasten to add!) or a variety of floral brooches, and then perhaps a series of half-day classes to complete somehthing a big bigger like a stitched and appliqued sampler (not X stitch) or a small appliqued quilt. It all depends what the most demand is for, I'm open to suggestions and Pam is lovely, she just wants the rooms to be used. I do know the prices we are looking at are exceptional value - a lot less than I have paid in the past I can tell you! Lx

      Delete
  8. LOVE that riot of colour and design! It's gorgeous.

    I am getting more and more into hand embroidery - I always do my applique with free form machine stitching but might try and mix it up a bit now. So cool. That is all so incredibly beautiful. I always think, when I'm busy cutting out flowers and shapes, that it's like fabric decoupage - the embroidery takes it to another level though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendz, yes, I think it used to be called ' broderie perse' but the bonding certainly makes it a fast option. I see you've done a bit on your re-fashioned skirt, love it! Lx

      Delete
  9. Lovely to hear your joy and enjoyment of the best and simple things in life. Friendship, food, fun and craft.... and of course, your wonderful surroundings. You've been having as much fun as me!!! Love the cushions and it reminded me that I took a workshop years ago where we made a patterned Summer skirt then appliqued several motifs from the same fabric onto a plain toning T shirt. We used a similar technique to the flowers on your cushion and the results were great. A good idea to resurrect methinks.
    I'm looking forward to a brayer workshop next week with Vicky Stampers then the following week a lino cutting workshop with Lynn of Doodly Birds.
    Love Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, thanks for lovely comments. Yes, broderie perse isn't new, but it went out of fashion and good to see it being introduced to new stitchers. The brayer workshop looks interesting..do blog about it won't you? Lx

      Delete
  10. wow... superb!!!Congrats
    BShell

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those little felt flowers are the prettiest, cutest, most bestest . . . I know that's not a word, but it fits in this case. I love them!
    Have a creative weekend . . . you are amazing:)

    Your blogging sister, Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie, had a very nice weekend. Mostly standing in the damp and wind plying fiddle at the Apple Day dance out with the Mollies but we had a great time- if a little chilly!
      Am loving stitching those flowers, really soothing. Lx

      Delete
  12. So much creativity in one post! Love it!!

    I can't wait to hear about your workshops :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No dates set yet, Annie, but be assured there will be lots of posting and photos when we get going. Lx

      Delete

I'd love you to comment, maybe join in the conversation - I always try and reply if I can.Anonymous spammers take note: you will not be published. Genuine posters having difficulty will be accepted. Thanks so much for visiting!