Sunday 2 September 2012

Fabric Books


Hopefully a colour-packed post for you. Following on from the previous, here are some pics of some fabric books I made a few years ago. The first is entitled  INDIA, and was made in response to a call out by Cloth Paper Scissors magazine, for entries in a fabric book competition. I made this, posted it off to the States (it didn't win, of course!) and was chuffed to see a photo of it in a subsequent issue. Now truth to tell, you need a good pair of specs to spot it, just a small portion near a corner of the page. But it is there!

I used a variety of techniques, my own hand-dyed and other fabrics, hand and machine stitiching, stamping, foiling...you name it, it's in there, Kitchen Sink Style!




Hand-dyed silk tops...I THINK, maybe they're wool tops. Anyway, luscious colours, didn't need any more than a few stitches and the odd sequin.


The page I most enjoyed doing. My hand-dyed fabric, stamped with Indian place-names, seed-stitched, a few shreds of sari fabric pinned to the top corner....easy-peasy!




               A few detail shots, including, above, machine-wrapped cords and fabric beads.


      And in complete contrast, The White Album. Well what else was I going to call it, c'mon!

                                               Good old image transfer and stamping.
                                              Wrapped twigs - very Art Quilt!
                                                          Words of Whiteness


                                     Rather proud of my first attempt at Coptic binding.

These next pics are of the book I made to honour my maternal grandmother, Sophie Emily Pryce.
                                Silken cords and cover fabric - care of The Silk Route
I made the little pocket to contain some explanatory papers. I image transferred the rose image from a paper bag to the fabric.

I tea-dyed a very old tray-cloth which was disintegrating. I have a photo of me as a teenager looking remarkably like her in this shot.

                       I never met Great Uncle Frederick, he died long before I was born.
                                    I love this photograph, the original stands on my shelf.


I was barely six when she died, but I do remember her, making vegetable soup, served in bone china soup dishes, and later, walking along the prom at Tranmere, Birkenhead, with my dad pushing her in her wheelchair. For a working-class woman of her time, she was very fiesty, and had strong political opinions. She was an original Pennine Trespasser and chairwoman of her local co-operative society.
My father adored her.



                                             Words by Paul Simon. Says it all, really.

16 comments:

  1. That's really wonderful - I would love to do something like that and have a list of questions to ask you about it - may I e-mail you? I love the mix of various techniques and media - just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course...it's a while since I made these, and I haven't been doing this sort of stuff since then, but happy to help - or point you in the right direction! Glad you enjoyed the post. Lx

      Delete
  2. Lynne, you did it again! You inspired me again and gave me a great idea! I love the fabric book you made to honour your grandmother.
    I did some ancestry research myself, got some photographs and documents ... but I couldn't make up my mind on how to "preserve" those memories and information. But who knows ... with some freetime on hand (when exactly will that be - it's back to school tomorrow) I might start my very first fabric book on my family.
    By the way - how do you transfer the pictures onto fabric?
    Love,
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martina, thanks for your comments! I think I will put some information in the next post about image transfer, as a few people have asked me about it. Give me a couple of days to get my head round it! L x

      Delete
  3. You are so clever Lynne - I love both the colourful and white. The detail is amazing.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire, I had a spell when I was into lots of new techniques and produced quite a bit of work which I certainly won't be getting into again! But I like to look at these books. Lx

      Delete
  4. These are great, the colour, the texture and the lovely stories behind them! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks Ada, I'm very fond of the last one, obviously! Lx

      Delete
  5. I love the brightly coloured one, it should have won :) You certainly have a huge range of talents :)

    Sue Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sue, I have to say there was a HUGE response to the competition, they had to run 3 issues to get all the entries pictured! And the winning entries were top notch.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant! They are wonderful to look at and I adore your talent enormously. And the attention to detail...WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Wendz, for a short space of time I was totally into all that kind of stuff.....but I haven't got the energy to do it these days....well, I'm doing other stuff, obviously!!!!

      Delete
  7. Hello Lynne, I wonder if you have any idea of how extremely talented you are. You absolutely blow my mind with your creativity. Your books are outstanding. Top Notch Gorgeous!!!

    I am always happy when I get a visit from you. Thank you for the lovely compliment on my shabby french chair. I do not intend on keeping it, but instead I am adding it to my market inventory. I have a dream to open a market booth in the spring. So far it is just a dream, but you have to have a dream before you can have a dream come true.
    If you would like to see my inventory you can view it on my new blog http://shabbyfrench.blogspot.com/
    There are items that you have seen on my past posts and some new ones, too. My goal is to add something each week. I am also looking into where I can do this market. At the present time there are no antique and craft malls in our area . . . I might have to drive 70 miles away (not sure about that).
    Have a wonderful day and thank you so very much for stopping by, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those words of Paul Simon's, they get me every time. Lovely post Lynne :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie - nothing else would do it, so poignant, I think. Lx.

      Delete
  9. Ooh..such a lovely collection of crafty things. The pictures made me nostalgic :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to comment, maybe join in the conversation - I always try and reply if I can.Anonymous spammers take note: you will not be published. Genuine posters having difficulty will be accepted. Thanks so much for visiting!