Monday 23 July 2012

Textiles, Pottery, and Farewells


                                     Gratuitous photograph of  Eldest Grandson Chris.

                                Thank you to Ada at Vintage Sheet Addict for this lovely award!

You might have been thinking that you've come to the wrong blog, lately, as there has been a bit of a dearth of textile in my posts. Obviously things have been hectic round here for a while so there hasn't been a lot of fresh and creative stuff going on, but fear not! I have plans afoot. (Ooh should I mention that word???) I struggled to find some coherence for this blog post, but it seems to be jumping about all over the place, so bear with me as I qickly update on the Visit, sadly now at an end, and some bits and pieces in between!

                     And a lovely one of Beccie, Elder Granddaughter, and Great Nan.

Obviously the most urgent item on the textile list was COMPLETING THE QUILT . I finally put the last stitches in it at the family farewell BBQ at Oakham on Saturday. We had a presentation and a few modelling shots. Krissie loved it and so it was all worth while.




First thing Sunday morning saw me hastily writing, pressing/setting, washing, ironing and stitching on the label.




Next up comes a quick Beach House cushion cover - I part-exchanged the one I made for the craft fair, with Cathy Jotter Potter, and would you know it, son Kit said it was his very favourite one  (he's missing his surfing. badly!) so I have to get going with another of them...probably end up taking it out with us...it won't get done very soon, I promise you!

One to be planning is Beccie's cushion cover. Bex is having her bedroom 're-done' when she gets home and we are all very excited about that, I've been promised a thorough 'skype' tour when it's done - or perhaps Dylan will make me a video. Bex and Krisie each have one of those nursing cushions, the open 'v' shaped ones as they are just so darned comfy. She will send me the lining to use as a template, and we have chosen the fabrics: she is working on a black/white/teal colour scheme. So it will be patchwork with teal applique letters of her name,already chosen the fabrics but I'll leave that for another post.

Now I promised you a look at the other items Cathy made for me. They were gifts for our visitors, and I am so thrilled with the way Cathy interpreted my ideas. First of all I just wanted 3 hens with Union Jacks on them, for the children's rooms - they were suitably impressed as Dylan loves the flag and both boys are into 'Angry Bird' images and Bex just thinks they are 'cool'!



For Krissie I wanted something which picked up on the things she loves to do. She loves to read, she grows great basil which I am really miffed about! and from being a woman with no time to bake when they lived in the UK she has blossomed into a domestic goddess to rival Nigella on the baking front. Now don't you think Cathy has done me proud? Krissie was terrifically pleased with it and knows where she is going to display the plaque on a plate stand.


Kit's present is not seen at its best, as it will be mounted on a whitewashed plank when they get home (we have supplied him with a tube of no more nails!) However you can see the text which is the last line of an ee cummings poem.



  'It's Always Ourselves We Find In The Sea'. When I saw that quote in Cathy's workroom I just KNEW we had to come up with some way of incorporating it into a piece for Kit. He is a boy who loves to surf, and his de-stresser, and source of meditation is the ocean, which he has been missing since being here. Cathy designed some surf pieces and the whole thing is just so right for him. He was a little stunned to be honest, he loves it. Cathy, you have done an excellent job! I have photographed them poorly as the light was bad and we couldn't really make Kit's piece look as good as it will once mounted. They were all extremely chuffed with their pieces and so am I. Thanks a million!

So, a few more photos, taken at the BBQ , I almost whipped the camera out today as they sped off in the (very large) taxi, but to be honest I wasn't in the mood, we tried to keep it fairly upbeat but Jim and I are really noticing the  emptyness today. Of course, it's going to be lovely to sleep in our own bed again! And we have whizzed through the house tidying and vacuuming and done tons of washing (in fact Jim has just finished ironing umpteen sheets and pillow-cases, bless the man!) But it does feel strange and I am quite flattened at the moment.


Jim adding some last minute photos to Dylan's Journal which is all about his trip to the UK, which he will present when he gets back to school.  (Ooooh, can you see that photo in the blue frame in the background? That's our Engagement photo!!!! September 1970!) Also seen, as in so many recent shots, is the polka dot oilcloth table cloth which has graced the table for the past month - best £22 I've spent in a long time, I can tell you! I felt quite sad when I wiped it down for the last time and replaced it with a 'proper cloth' this afternoon!

                                      The small ones playing a 'tick and run' game.


However, we will be skype-ing as soon as we can, and we have already begun talking in earnest about plans for going out in the New Year! That certainly takes the sting out of it.




29 comments:

  1. Ooh the quilt is lovely Lynne and the things that Cathy made for you are simply gorgeous!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria, I was pleased with the way it turned out - especially after I washed it and it went all lovely and 'crinkly'!

      Delete
  2. Krissie's quilt is so beautiful. Well done you :-) Thanks also for stopping by my blog and leaving such nice comments. Great to 'meet' you and hope to see you there again...off to have a look at more of your lovely stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynette, lovely to hear from you, will be keeping in touch!

      Delete
  3. The quilt is an absolute triumph! It's wonderful Lynne. Cathy's work is amazing - I'm going to need to treat myself soon. Hope you don't feel too flattened for long - Skype was our saviour when my sister in law was living in Australia.
    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Claire, yes God Bless Skype!

      So pleased Krissie was pleased wth her quilt, and bow I can get on with the other stuff which has been lingering in the back ground! Yes, you can't go wrong with Cathy's work - it's brilliant!
      Lx

      Delete
  4. Loon Lynne, I hope you aren't too sad, looks like you had a great time, thank goodness for Skype! Love the quilt and cute chickens! Like how you said 'quick beach hut cushion!' that would take me ages!
    I have nominated you for A Lovely Blog Award, I think you are brill! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh Ada - I hadn't realised you nominated me for the award!!!! I thought it was just Lisa and Jane.....bless you I will pop and do something about it...if I can remember how Cathy showed me!!!!

      Delete
    2. Ada have managed (HURRAH!!!!!!) to get the images on my blog, but will do all the 'bits' in my next post if that's ok. Now then.....a few tings no-ne knows about me that I haven't already mentioned.. .....hmmmmmmmmmm!

      Delete
  5. The quilt etc ia amazing Lynne but to be honest it is what we have become to expect from you Super Superb Quality Goods I feel for you and Jim as I know how hard it is to have a house full and then have to say good bye we went down that road once but thank goodness for Skype it does help to keep you contact so much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous...wish I knew who you are! Thank you for commenting, and yes, bless the skype.. it is a life saver, not to mention a relationship saver!
      Do let me know who you are, and I can reply properly!

      Delete
  6. Yikes! I've nabbed Kit's fave cushion - sorry Kit! We both have impeccable taste obviously! So Lynne, hope it's not too quiet over there now and that you are not still wandering off to the pub every night out of habit! Typical weather just gets sunny once the family have gone back too! See you soon. xCathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.....flaming weather....just never gets it right! They are in Dubai now enjoying 40 degrees this evening according to Kit's text!

      Yes, Icould have sold that cushion several times and the felted wool could have gone several times also...I know what I shall be making in future!!! Enjoy the sun (while it lasts!)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for your lovely comment the other day. I definitely know what you mean about lists, they can become a chain around the neck. Sometimes I want to take stuff off the list just because I'm sick of staring at it. Probably I should actually 'do' the thing in question, but for some reason, that doesn't always happen.... ;)

    I'm with you on September as well, I always thinks of it as a fresh start month too. I guess it's the school thing but it generally kicks me into gear, so let's hope in work this year too!

    Love your crafty makes, you've been busy. The cushion particularly is awesome, no wonder it's popular!

    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sandra, thanks for popping across! I am giving myself these two days then I will be getting down to some serious list writing ...I need to get myself organised ...my sewing room really really really needs a good 'uck out' and re-arranging, and there are one or two projects in the pipe-line I need to be on top of.

    Hope you are still enjoying the new family arrival and all is well with her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Lynne,

    Oh my goodness; there is so much worthy of comment in this post. But that quilt eclipses all the other goodies, I'm afraid. It is a thing of beauty and love.

    I hope you are enjoying the sunshine too, Lynne. We've had a glorious week here in France.

    Yey! :-)

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Stephanie, thanks for your comment, I'm a bit amazed at all the lovely things people have written about the quilt to be honest..it is after all just a very simple log cabin, nothing very complex. But I do like the fabrics, and yes, it was made with lots of love!

    HAve had a LOVELY day just chillin' in the sunshine (that doesn't sound right but you know what I mean!) and it is our FIFTH DAY of sunny weather..a RECORD! I'm sayin' nuthin' about the coming weekend........

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're all right Lynne, the quilt is glorious! Sometimes simple is best, but your colour choices are subtle and perfect, and that comes with practice and skill. And to have someone put so much thought, and time, and care and love into a gift is treasure beyond compare so lucky Krissie :D

    Hope the sun's still shining :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Annie, well, a little overcast this morning..at least it'snot raining! (Thank you too for lovely comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo wee Lynne. What a gorgeous post! Firstly that blanket is to die for! I love it, it must have taken you ages! All the goodies made by Cathy are wonderful too. Have a great weekend. Love Katie xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, Katie, it took me a year, but then I was also making stuff for the craft fair and one or two other things as well, so it wouldn't have taken that long straight-off. Very easy to put together, log cabins, and thequilting was quite straight forward.

    Hope this lovely sunshine doesn't disappear over the w/end!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lynne, thanks for popping by my blog - for some reason I've only just seen your comment. Oh that quilt is fabulous and I adore the cushion cover - both scrummy :-) Those ceramics are fantastic, love the birds.
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, thanks for popping across..lovely to meet another Scouser-in-Exile!

      Delete
  16. Hi, Lynne! Love your sweet Family's pictures! And your gorgeous quilt and these cute pottery by Cathy! Thank you so much for introducing us to Cathy, so I''m reached of some her pottery too :o) Thank you dear friend ;o)
    Lot of love from Russia
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to introduce people to people...it's what blogging's all about! Enjoy your teapots!

      Delete
  17. This is such a lovely post Lynne. It's so hard seeing the family go but at least mine are only in Germany and Brighton! I've just booked a cheapo easyjet to Germany to be with them for the little'un's 3rd birthday in 2 weeks!
    Your quilt is fantastic and will be a lovely keepsake for them. I made quilts for all of mine and they are well used and wearing well. I'm now crocheting Afghan throws for them. 3 down 2 to go but I find that a Winter craft to have a wool throw on your knee!
    I'm lucky with space and as I'll soon be teaching Donna silversmithing I think we'll be using the new clear garage space for that as it will be safer when using the butane burners.
    Have a good week, we are off to Vicky Stampers on Saturday and Donna is coming over for that... woo hoo!
    Love Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes, it's been great having them here, and a wrench them going...it's an awful long way and a pretty rubbish journey to get there unless you can afford Business Class...and we can't! Never mind, we have skype and that really helps. My friend Katy has grandchildren in Germany and it's nothing for them to pop across each holiday, but you must still miss being an 'everyday grandma (grany, or nanna) as I do. Enjoy your small one's birthday, and have a great time!

      Delete
  18. Fabulous quilt! Lovely ceramics too. And of course family pics as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoops! Nearly missed your comment there! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to comment, maybe join in the conversation - I always try and reply if I can.Anonymous spammers take note: you will not be published. Genuine posters having difficulty will be accepted. Thanks so much for visiting!