Monday 18 June 2012

Angels in the Architecture


                                                                Gloria-in Excelsis

St Nicholas' Chapel in town is in need of a bit of a face-lift. After all, it is 600 years old. Although no longer a parish church, it remains consecrated. Twenty years ago it was purchased by the Churches Conservation Trust, and supports a wide and varied programme which includes music, poetry and art exhibitions.In order to conduct a 'repair-in-time programme', and update the facitlites -including lighting to show off the beautiful carved angels in the roof trusses, the Trust needs to match funding to secure a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £1.5 million. This weekend saw The Festival of Angels, an exhibition of ....well, angels, in all kinds of media. I was encouraged by the gals in Stitch & Bitch to enter my felted wool angel, and I knew Yvonne was hard at it finishing her 'Recycled Rosie' to exhibit.


Yvonne and I were allocated space to the right of the altar, which included the old anchor which is dropping rust all over the place. I hadn't realised how HUGE this is, and it provided a good resting place for Gloria...she looks almost like a figure-head, doesn't she?

Gloria was made in felt and felted wool at a Madeline Millington workshop a few years ago. Obviously this is  one of Madeline's designs, so she is not for sale..though I have had several offers for her...but I love working with wool and have been creating some designs of my own.

Yvonne made Rosie from recycled sweet papers....Roses, of course, and 'found' fabric. Despite the  theme of being a 'second-hand-rose', it wasn't until she had finished setting up that Yvonne realised the wings were covered in a rose design, although you can't see in the photo because of reflected glimmer. Of course, all the spectators assumed it was meant to be!


There were  hand-crafted angels from a variety of 81 local businesses, clubs and societies. Yvonne and I were demonstrating crafts on the the Saturday, there were also a few stalls with pottery, picture framing and woven willow angels. Not to mention the refreshment tables!


     We enjoyed listening to some 17th century music played from here by a local brass band.








                          You had no idea Yvonne was musical, did you? Or angelic......

Yvonne was standing on tip-toe for this shot which is why she is looking so....uplifted! And I think the Restoration Committee will be feeling uplifted this morning as there were around 2,000 visitors over the two days. Hopefully this will go a long way to providing those much needed funds. We were amazed at the numbers through the gate, and both Yvonne and I met up with dozens and dozens of folk we knew from our various 'lives' - neighbours, friends, old colleagues, ex patients/clients, fellow textile lovers; we kept trying to find a quiet time to eat our sandwiches but the stream of visitors never stopped. A Celestial Success, I'd say!

14 comments:

  1. Very lovely angels there. Not sure about Rosie, the face disturbs me somewhat. When it comes to angels, I prefer the very simple designs, all these feathers and gold bits do nothing for me.I did like the glass mosaic and woven willow ones though, and admire the work in yours very much.
    Thanks for the book comment... I had forgotten to think about non-fiction writers with a 'B', Bryson is one of my favourites and we have all his books.
    Maggie
    aquietlifeforme.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I felt disturbed by some of the angels I didn't photograph - they had very poorly executed faces which spoiled otherwise lovely angels. I think unless you are very good, you should leave faces alone! Had I been making one I'dhave just had a suggestion of features - couple of lines for downturned eyes, for example. Gloria wasn't made for the exhibition, or she'd have been featureless.

      SO when are you doing writers beginning with 'C'? ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi there, I enjoyed the tour of the church and all of the angels. Such tiny stiches in your felted wool angel. Beautiful work, and I liked the willow branch angels also. Yvonne looked very celestial with her face peeking out. :) Hope you raised lots of money for restorations.
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wool and wool is so easy to use, Dorothy, and no turning hems under either! Win win! I think they did very well, funds-wise, and it was great to have so many people come and chat .

      Delete
  3. Lovely Angels, Lynne! My favorite is the mosaic one :o)
    Have a nice week
    love
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Natasha, yes, I love mosaics too.

    We will be having a very busy, lovely week, but I'll post about that another time. I'll just say it is all going to be a very tight squeeze, here at the cottage! Lx.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heavenly angels Lynne! Like Natasha I adore the mosaic one!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice idea to raise money!
    I like the felt- and mosaic ones the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea for a fundraiser! Well done all :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, they did extremely well and a good two days was had into the bargain!

      Delete
  8. Hiya - my faves are the willow ones ... and yours of course! I may nick your design for a new version of my Christmas angels! Hope lots of funds were raised. See you soon. xCathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, feel free, I love the way some images just beg to be appliqued, and of course, that's what you are doing with your 'flat' designs - which is why I love them so much.

      It's all happenin' here this morning as we get ready for The Arrival!

      Delete
  9. I loved the one in ths first pic. I used to have a collection of angels. I believe they bring good luck to any home =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't have too many angels knocking about! Lx.

      Delete

I'd love you to comment, maybe join in the conversation - I always try and reply if I can.Anonymous spammers take note: you will not be published. Genuine posters having difficulty will be accepted. Thanks so much for visiting!